Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Teacher I Will Never Be

Once upon a time, an average high school student in constant competition with her above average friends, sat in an oh-so-boring History class.  

Mr. Smith was the teacher.  He sat at the front of the room, "large and in charge."  He lectured to us with his cup of coffee in hand.  He always used terms like "Smoke 'em if you got 'em."  Really?  The room was so plain and boring and the topic was exactly the same.

I've never pretended that History was my favorite subject.  And I did mention that I was average.  But what happened one day in that class, was anything but average.


It was the day of a test.  I sat in my seat with my book open hoping for some last minute information to leap into my head long enough to get on the paper.  That's when Mr. Smith walked in with his usual "I'm the best thing since sliced bread" attitude, asking us all if we were ready for our test.  Then he turned to me and said, "Benty, what are you doing?  It's not like any amount of studying would help you." 


WHAT?


I got up and walked out of the class. 


That's the teacher that I will never be.


Alexis

3 comments:

  1. Wow that was mean of him. Did you ever find out why? And good on you to stand up for yourself.

    Stopping by from Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Alison@Mama Wants This He did come and find me and he apologized, but I will never forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! How awful for a teacher to said something like that. I hope he has changed.

    ReplyDelete