Monday, September 12, 2011

Teaching Tommy...A Journey

The names in this post, and every post hereafter, have been changed to protect the innocent...

The school year has begun and my classroom is filled with 15 excited first graders.  All are eager to learn and to please.  Tommy is one of those students.  


Tommy loves his friends.  Tommy loves to laugh.  Tommy is having a hard time at school.

You see, Tommy is a second language learner.  He repeated Kindergarten because of language.  He also has a speech impediment.  The cards are stacking against Tommy.  Throw in an issue with the sounds of letters, simple addition and a label of ADHD, Tommy is truly struggling in first grade.  



That's where I come in.  I am his teacher.


At first meeting, Tommy seemed like a lot of other students I've had in the past.  A challenge, but nothing I can't deal with.  Now it's only been 3 weeks and I'm reaching for ANYTHING that will help him to succeed.  


I give Tommy his homework ahead of time in order to get a "jump start" on his learning.  I also give him all of the math lessons before I teach them so that he can achieve some success during class time. 


I'm laying a lot of trust in Tommy's parents to work with him.  He has a tutor, but he really needs more.  I'm worried. 


I will follow my journey with Tommy weekly and hope that I can dig deep in my educational bag in order to Teach Tommy.

Alexis

5 comments:

  1. Trying to catch up from the Hop Along Friday blog hop! Sorry I'm so late!! I'm your newest follower from each of my blogs. I'd love for you to visit them -

    Totally Reinventing Me

    Life Full of Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I know you will find a way to reach him and teach him.
    -Katy
    @MamaPoodle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also am a late comer trying to catch up on Friday's blog hop! I had 4 reviews I needed to get out and need to do at least one or two tomorrow. I got so behind this week with the Fibromyalgia kicking my butt it was hard to concentrate. I am a new follower thru GFC and Facebook and would love a follow back on both when you get the chance. Thanks so much for your help and have a great weekend!

    Mary@http://www.mmbearcupoftea.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hop'in by from 'Sunday Funday Hippidy Blog Hop'. I'm following your blog now, wont you please come and follow me back?? ~KM

    Krafty Max Originals

    ReplyDelete