Monday, November 7, 2011

Word Play Is The Way

Being a teacher of first graders, my number one goal is to help all children learn how to read.  

I'm a true believer in systematic and explicit phonics instruction and I implement this into my classroom every day.  One way that we do this is through oral language play.

Here are some ways that you can teach through oral language:


1)  Rhyme Time:
I say a word and my students say a word that rhymes.  Simple as that.


2)  Clapping Syllables:
Oh yes.  Tried and true.


3)  Body Letters:
Once I introduce a sound for the week, I have the students show me how "write" the sound with their bodies.  Then I say words and if they hear the sound, they "write" it with their bodies.  If they don't hear it, I have them roll into a ball.  This not only has them focusing on hearing sounds, but also gets my more kinesthetic learners moving while learning.


4) Segmenting Sentences and Words:
I say sentences (short at first) and the students need to clap, snap, or just count the words that they hear.  Once this skill is mastered, I can move into words.  This helps the students to hear individual words and sounds which will aid in reading and writing.

6)  Stretching words:
If you walked into my classroom on any given day, you would hear the students and teacher alike "stretching" words.  We pull words apart and emphasize each individual sound.  I'm sure strangers think we are creating our own alien language, but educators know that we are learning to read and spell.  

These small games would be useful and fun in both a classroom and home setting.  Let's make learning fun!


Alexis

0 comments:

Post a Comment